Looking back on a sustainable year
Arjowiggins Graphic, a leading manufacturer of environmental paper solutions, today published its latest CSR report, detailing its industry-leading milestones, ambitions to work towards a circular economy and its role in developing a more sustainable industry.
Agnès Roger, Chief Executive of Arjowiggins Graphic comments: “When it comes to environmental and social responsibility every act counts, no matter how small. An industry like ours needs to give itself clear and ambitious targets and implement strategies to achieve them, one step at a time. At Arjowiggins Graphic, we have been implementing a sustainable development policy for several years that surpasses our customers’ expectations and the regulations in force, and we’ve seen this go from strength to strength in 2013.”
The report, printed on Cocoon Silk 100% recycled paper, outlines:
– One of the biggest highlights of 2013 was the successful implementation of the IS0 50001 certified energy management system at all of Arjowiggins Graphic’s Greenfield De-inking Plant, Le Bourray, Wizernes and Besse Paper Mills. This is the first multi-site ISO50001 certification to be issued in France.
– In addition to being FSC™ certified, obtaining PEFC™ certification, the most widespread forestry certification in France, which makes it possible to further increase the company’s share of certified fibres, from 40% 2008 in to 85% in 2013, with an ambition to reach 100%.
– Reducing the carbon footprint in its supply chain by increasing the maximum load for its lorries from 40 to 44 tonnes, resulting in the reduction of the number of trucks required in particular for its supply of pulp and waste papers for recycling.
– Collecting €10,000 for the SOS Children’s Villages, which covers half of the costs of operating a water tower in Dafra, Burkina Faso, for a year and represents access to water for approximately 3,000 people.
– WWF Climate Savers objectives helping to drive innovation resulting in increasing the business’ share of recycled paper production from 10-12% in 2009 to 50% in 2013.
Arjowiggins Graphic has received a number of accolades in recognition of its sustainability efforts including an excellent rating on the WWF Environmental Paper Company Index, and winning the French Champion of the Year at the European Business Awards for its work on the Cyclus campaign with SOS Children’s Villages.
Agnès Roger, Chief Executive of Arjowiggins Graphic concludes: “In 2014 we will build on this work by establishing a plan for reducing power consumption across the whole graphic business rather than site by site. We are following a circular economy approach that allows us to create added value and develop business efficiently.”
Notes to Editors
About Arjowiggins Graphic
Arjowiggins Graphic is a leader in the development of innovative environmental paper solutions, offering consistently high quality coated and uncoated recycled papers. The branch is part of Arjowiggins, the world’s leading manufacturer of creative high-tech materials and papers. With over 4,000 employees and 20 paper mills around the world, Arjowiggins generates sales of around €1 billion. Arjowiggins is a fully owned subsidiary of Sequana.
About SOS Children’s Villages France
SOS Children’s Villages is an independent private development organisation, which builds families for children in need. Through a network of over 500 villages it provides family-based care to orphans or children having lost parental care in 133 countries with a safe, loving home, health, and education.
The SOS Children’s Village in Vontovorona is located in the suburb of Antananarivo. It is comprised of an SOS Kindergarten, which accommodates up to 180 children and a primary and secondary SOS school with a canteen. A total of 500 children receive an education in 13 classes.